Monday, April 25, 2011

The Easter Party!

Easter is truly my favorite holiday of the year. The culmination of spring, baseball, family, and the resurrection of King Jesus. The only thing better would be if I could recruit Jesus to pitch for my fantasy baseball team! I would be first in the league, no doubt! 

A few years ago I spent a semester living with my brother and his wife in south Florida. I was taking classes at a NOTBS down there and worked at a coffee shop. Historically the coffee shop has been a place known for housing very lively discussions of current politics, religious discussion, and the free expression of one's opinion. It was here that I was first introduced with a truly multi-cultural work environment. I had two bosses, one of which was Austrian, the other was Jewish. I had three co-workers, one Spanish (from Spain), one was Columbian, and the other was born and raised in America. Quite a work up for this southern Oklahoma white boy. I absolutely loved it, but one of the most significant things that happened to me, took place just a few days prior to Easter sunday that year. I served a lady her double skinny extra dry cappuccino and before she left she asked me "Do you celebrate Easter?" and my answer of course was "Yes" and she said "well Happy Easter to you." 

I was really thinking "Do I celebrate Easter? Of course!?!? Doesn't everyone?"

This year, I had a few people ask how my Easter had been. To which of course I answered "Good". Good? Really, is that all? Just good? We're talking about the highest point of the year for a christian, the time of celebrating the life of a Resurrected King. The One who put to death, death itself. The very reason I even have reason to live and my response is nothing more than a simple mundane "good"... 

I would think that a true celebration would bring about some excitement. Some moves, yes, this red headed white boy is talking about dance moves, and waiting for that very question...

"How was your Easter?"

"My Easter was amazing can I tell you a little bit about it?" 

Our Easter celebration should not be a private matter, and I truly think that it is this time of year that we have an opportunity to show the world how to truly party and party right! 

It is amazing how religious we can become. Just going through the motions recognizing one holiday after the other... using each holiday for nothing more than a few days off and some down time to watch Sports Center.


The stone has been rolled away, the tomb is empty, and death is no more. This is why we celebrate!

How did you celebrate Easter? What is the best thing about Easter to you? 









No comments:

Post a Comment